DRMtoday for Widevine CAS
Using a conditional access system (CAS) for broadcasting has typically been expensive, but it doesn’t have to be.
In an age of tight margins, we help boost your bottom line. DRMtoday provides streamlined cloud licensing for Google’s Widevine CAS to greatly reduce the cost of securing your PayTV video service.
Cut your CAS costs
Widevine CAS provides a modern model to reach audiences at a fraction of traditional CAS prices.
- No device royalties
- No proprietary STB middleware
- No smart cards
Simplified security on Android TV
Widevine CAS opens the opportunity to operate your service with native STB security support.
Easily secure your premium content across Android TV 9+ STBs.
Gain more value from your business model and infrastructure by saving on delivery.
We’ll get you to market fast
DRMtoday makes setting up Widevine CAS key management and entitlement simple. Our ready to use approach gets you running at low cost by avoiding custom development and lengthy implementations.
Avoid an on-prem EMMG with our world-class cloud licensing delivery.
Use the standard Android TV media framework and our PRESTOplay for Android SDK for quick player set up.
- Manage and monitor your licensing activity through our user-friendly dashboard.
- Reselling support to oversee your own clients.
- Multi-tenancy for enterprise media groups to oversee their service brands.
We work directly with leading SOC vendors to ensure Widevine CAS works smoothly and securely across set-top boxes.
DRMtoday for Widevine CAS is built on our proven DRM license network. With billions of licenses delivered worldwide each year we easily scale to meet your growth.
Not only does DRMtoday offer CAS, you can also access multiple DRM systems for protecting OTT streams across all screens.
Widevine CAS enabled devices feature level 1 hardware security for HD, UHD, and HDR playback experiences.
We don’t just help curb piracy, DRMtoday solves content owner protection requirements.
DRMtoday has received the Farncombe Security Audit® mark from Cartesian’s extensive review of our service.
Need assistance deploying CAS?
We’ve been working with conditional access since 2007. Our deep experience is on your side to solve any challenges encountered along the way.
- Enable STB hardware playback
- ECMG customization
- Headend integration
- Hybrid OTT solutions
Let’s get technical
DRMtoday for Widevine CAS workflow
- At the headend, a scrambler encrypts the source video with often changing scrambling keys (control words). This is usually performed by a headend multiplexer.
- The Simulcrypt Synchronizer (SCS) sends these control words to the Entitlement Control Message Generator (ECMG) which wraps them with another, seldom changing service key (entitlement key).
- The ECMG talks to our DRMtoday license server over HTTPS to ingest and pull entitlement keys.
- The ECMG embeds the entitlement keys together with additional metadata into an Entitlement Control Message (ECM) and sends this back to the SCS.
- The headend sends the ECM to the Android TV device with the encrypted broadcast video.
- On the STB, our Widevine CAS enabled PRESTOplay player software asks DRMtoday for the entitlement key via HTTPS.
- If the customer is authorized, DRMtoday delivers Entitlement Management Messages (EMMs) which are special Widevine licenses containing the entitlement keys needed to unwrap control words. The broadcast stream can now be safely decrypted and played.
|License delivery network|
|Server infrastructure||Multi-region AWS servers|
|Fault-tolerant & high global availability
Multiple instances per region for added redundancy
Fast channel start times
|Rapid world-wide key synchronization|
Widevine security level 1
In Trusted Execution Environments (TEE)
|AES-CTR, AES-CBC, DVB CSA2 / CSA3 encryption modes|
|Entitlement Control Message Generator (ECMG)
On-prem or as a managed cloud service
Supports DVB Simulcrypt
|Entitlement Management Message Generator (EMMG)|
|DRM for OTT
Widevine, PlayReady, FairPlay Streaming, WisePlay
|Platform support||Android TV 9+|
|Configure delivery and authentication behavior|
|Delivery logs and reporting
Including user device type
Examples: download delivery logs, monthly summaries
Examples: license delivery, user accounts
|Reseller support and client management|
|Customer support portal|
|24/7 support available (Gold SLA)|